Friday, August 7, 2020

Watching Survival Shows

Well, we are living in some unprecedented times. Covid-19 hit the world and the entertainment industry has taken a massive hit. From the US side of things, things have really dried up in terms of content. The regular movie schedule that I have grown accustomed to had slowly faded to black. At the moment, it looks like the movie theather industry will have a hard time gettin back to where they were. Disney, the leader at the box office these last few years has had to re-adjust their movie release schedule. So much so that they had taken Artimis Fowl to Disney+ and the latest to follow is the live action Mulan movie.

In March and early April, I actually purchased many early release digital copies such as Call Of The Wild and Bloodspot. I thought I'd help contribute the industry in my own way. Digital deals from third party venders started to hit the market. Deals like buy 3 Vudu Instawatch titles, get a 4th free. I have purchase many $1.99 digital copies of China Lion releases these past few months.

So, all the above is to say that its been harder to find new and interesting movies or shows. At the time, I was searching around for trailers from China Lion and some recommendations for a Survival Show called Youth With You 2 (YWY2) started to show up in late April. So, I decided to give Episode 1 a try. It was interesting and I thought it would be a good way to improve my kids Mandarin. I encourage them to watch episode 1 with me. From there, we started to watch them from the iQiyi website.

We ended up being about a mouth behind and spent our free time catching up through the 9th or 10th week of the show. We than had to wait patiently as they released 2 shows a week on Thursday and Saturday. By this point, my kids are fully invested in the show and we starting to improve our Mandarin as a whole family. It was getting easier for us to say some names regularly in Mandarin. We are not in the habit remembering zhong wen names so it was hard at first. We started to say, the long hair gal from this and that song. Recently as we have gone back to watch some episodes, we are much better at remembering their names.

When Youth With You 2 ended, we started to watch Chuang 2020. Chuang 2020 was fully available on Youtube with english subtitles. And the episodes were sometimes twice the length YWY2. But only 2 shows were released weekly on the weekends, so we than had to fill in the time.

We started on We Are Blazing, than Super Novea Games S3, and recently, it was Street Dance Of China S3. All these shows have really given me a new perspective of the variety shows in general from Zhong Gao. I kinda like them.

What is your favorite show?

No comments: