Tuesday, July 28, 2009

痞子英雄 - Black And White - First Thoughts



痞子英雄 (Black and White) is a Taiwanese Police Drama starring Vic Zhou, Mark Chao, Ivy Chen and Janine Chang.

I am half way through the series and must say that it is awesome. Overall, the production value is very high in comparison to the other stuff I see around. Can it match the production value of TV shows in the US? No, but that's not the point. You gotta take it for what it is. Taiwan and China are not up to par with say a CSI or Lost, but it will get there eventually. I think its a matter of $$ that the industry can get.

Ok, back to the series. The story has a similar feel to The Hospital in terms of internal politics. You can't have it black and white. There are way too may grey areas. Mark walks the white line. Vic walks the black line per se. You'll have to see the politics to fully understand.

For the female leads, I've been quite disappointed. They are both strong characters, but do not really impact the story that much. I really hope the second half is better for them.

I noticed that there are many many people in power that are influenced by many other factors. There's a sense of mystery that looms over it all. Vic's character has a background revealed. But Mark's does not. The mystery has a 24 type feel to it.

Hey, I am half way through and its a been a wild ride. It's lived up to and exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend it. Looking forward to the movie as well.

3 comments:

alee said...

hello! i recently decided to start an asian entertainment blog of my own and decided on the name aleeviasian. little did i know when i went to read toodiao's blog at wordpress that i saw your comment with the same name concept! i was wondering if this was okay with you because i can change it if you want me to.

Populasian said...

Hi Alee,

No need to change. Adding "asian" to the back of words, especially in replacement of "tion" is actually quite common.

The prime example of this is with the pair of female bloggers that run "Disgrasian".

Good luck on your blog and I'll add it to my RSS reader.

Populasian

alee said...

Thanks populasian! also, i think i'll be moving to wordpress since i opened both blogger and wordpress accounts and decided i liked wp better.