Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Eternals - 永恆族



Eternals (永恆族) is an 2021 film. The movie is an ensemble cast starring Gemma Chan, Richard Madden, Lia McHugh, Brian Tyree Henry, Lauren Ridloff, Barry Keoghan, Don Lee, Salma Hayek, Angelina Jolie, Kit Harington, and Kumail Nanjiani. The movie is based the Eternals from Jack Kirby and their bad counterparts, the Deviants. The movie version has been adapted for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The movie is directed by Chloé Zhao.



The Eternals were brought to earth to fight monsters that are against the Celestrals, Deviants. Over the years, the Eternals have only been given permission to fight conflicts that include the Deviants. Sersi is in modern day London and a teacher in a relationship with Dane Whitman. But Sersi was in a relationship with Ikaris for thousands of years. Sersi and Sprite are roommates and go out on the town with Dane. While haeding back home, a Deviant attackes them. Ikaris comes to the rescue but the Deviant gets away. This sets into events that there may be a bigger event happening. Sersi, Sprite, and Ikaris set out to form the gang again. Will they be able to get everyone together and fight off the deviants?

I did not follow the Eternals that closely when I was reading comics more regularly. I only remember Sersi as part of the Avengers back in the 1980s. Beyond that, I only read about them in the Marval Universe guides. This was also the same with Gaurdians when it became a movie. I think these are good concepts for Marvel as they can really go in any direction in the films as the characters were not as impactful as say a Spider-man or Iron Man.

This movie was very well made. From the locales to the special effects. Seems earth has lots of hidden mysteries and evil monsters that have not been attacking the Avengers recently. I thought the locales were one of the highlights of the movie. Instead of spending time in front of a green screen, they were actually there to feel it for real. I thought the acting was suberb. How can it not be with so many veterans?

I would recommend you watch it for the locals and acting. And of course, its part of the MCU so you'll need the context going forward. Normally, I judge my euthasiasm for films based on if I want to pick up the Blu-ray to watch again. In this case, I thought one watch was good enough. Onto the next MCU movie!

No comments: