Friday, June 14, 2024

Dune - 沙丘



Dune (沙丘) is an 2021 film. The movie stars Timothée Chalamet. The vast supporting cast include Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Zendaya, Chang Chen, Jason Momoa, and Javier Bardem. The movie is not a remake of the 1984 version, but a new interpretation of the novel.



I had watched this back in 2021 when it came out on HBOMax. I didn't particularly remember liking it much than as it was very slow and took itself too seriously. My most recent Dune memory was the Sci-Fi channel broadcast back at the turn of the century. So, I had a vague memory of the general plot. Which made it a little hard to be surprised by things.

I wanted to watch Dune 2 in the theaters so I re-watched the movie. I had gotten digital copy back when it was on sale. I watched it via AppleTV app as I have my digital library connected there. It was in 4K and was very detailed. As I watched it, my kids started watching with me, so instead of telling them the story, I started the movie from the beginning as I was a little over an hour in. But due to watching it together, it took over 1 month to finish it. By that time, it was no longer in IMAX and I gave up going to the theater.

During the second watch, I was able to focus on the film making vs re-discovering the story. This was a beautiful movie. The settings were awesome. Especially the palace settings for the different houses. The dune settings were not as interesting as it was just sand, but the underground cities were pretty interesting, but pale in comparison to the house settings.

No comments: