Tuesday, October 15, 2013

林書豪旋瘋 - Linsanity



Linsanity (林書豪旋瘋)is an 2013 film. The movie is a documentary about Jeremy Lin, a NBA basketball player of Taiwanese and Chinese decent. I caught this in Monterey Park on October 6 with my whole family.

Jeremy Lin is a top prep player in the Palo Alto, Northern California area. As a junior high school, he helps lead his team to the state playoffs. But an injury sidelines him and his team. Coming back for an even stronger senior year, Jeremy Lin helps his team when the championship for his region. At the end of that season, Jeremy Lin is name the top Northern California prep player. However, no division I college offered him a scholarship. Instead, he was offered walk on possibilities. After a very successful college career, he went undrafted. But an invite to the summer league with the Dallas Mavericks and a classic showdown with John Wall got NBA teams interested in him. The NBA story didn't go cinderella for awhile. In his first year at Golden State, Jeremy Lin saw little action and was cut the following season. Picked up by the Houston Rockets, he was cut Christmas day and picked up by the Knicks a few days earlier. The Knicks were in a terrible place and the head coach was in danger of being fired. On a fateful night on February 2, 2013, the fortunes of both the Knicks and Jeremy Lin changed forever. The Knicks make the playoffs and Jeremy Lin goes on to world icon status.



The movie was really well made and super inspirational. I have followed Jeremy Lin pretty closely since his senior year at Harvard and the majority of the movie wasn't much of a surprise for me. However, for my wife and older daughter, a lot of the movie was a surprise for them. And they liked the inspirational story of how Jeremy Lin worked hard to achieve his goals. But Jeremy Lin's goals were not his own, but he had a certain priority.

I whole hearted recommend this movie. If you're a basketball fan or not, you don't need to know it to follow this story. I did and I am kicking myself for not contributing to the Kick Starter package. I could have had my name show up in the credits.



No comments: