Thursday, March 22, 2018

I, Tonya - 老娘叫譚雅



I, Tonya (老娘叫譚雅) is an 2017 movie. The film stars Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, Allison Janney, Julianne Nicholson, and Bobby Cannavale. The movie is an biographical portrayal of Tonya Harding, a USA Olympic figure skater in the early 1990s. Tonya Harding has also openly supported the movie.

Story starts in 1973 when Tonya was 3 years old and showed skating talent at a local ice rink. Fast forward through some childhood struggles with family and money, we get to Tonya meeting Jeff Gillooly, her first husband through the 1994 Winter Olympics. The story takes an extended stop for their love story and her skating career in high school. It dives into more of her relationship with her mom and how hard it was on her. It also show how her "white trash" exterior lead to unfair scores and her constant battle with the system. Eventually, it leads to her landing her triple axle and eventually making both the 1992 and 1994 winter Olympics.

This was a good movie. I was totally waiting for the next step and wanted it to continue. I thought the pace was good and I felt compassion for Tonya at the end of the film. Unfortunately for me, I didn't start to follow the Winter Olympics until Michelle Kwan search for gold during the late 1990s and early 2000s. I was also a young lad in school, whom didn't really follow sports outside of the Lakers, Angels, and Dodgers. I had only heard of those stories because it was unescapable for a certain period time. So, to see this movie presented was a new fresh blast from the past.

However, I won't be watching this again. It was a good one watch I would recommend it to friends my age type of movie.



No comments: