Monday, January 9, 2023

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Television Series - Seasons 1-3



Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan is a television series. The third seeason was recently released via Amazon Prime Video last month. The first and second seasons were released back in 2018 and 2019. All episodes were released so there was no need to wait. Binge watching was encouraged. I took over 2 and half weeks to finish all episodes. The series stars John Krasinski and Wendell Pierce. Season 1 included Abbie Cornish, Ali Suliman, Dina Shihabi, and John Hoogenakker. Michael Kelly joined for season 2 and 3.



Jack Ryan is working out of the CIA's Europe office tracking down something big, called Sokol. Sokol is a old USSR project to detonate a small scale nuclear bomb. Jack Ryan gets wind of this when a scientist from that project is retrieved but killed by the Sokol folks. This leads Jack Ryan to believe that the current Russian government is going to detonate this somewhere. Can Jack Ryan get to the bottom of this and save the world one more time?

I actually watched seasons 1 and 2 in preparation for the release of season 3. I really liked season 1 and this was the third time watching it. I did the same when season 2 was getting released. Season 1 was so good in my opinion that season 2 was so disappointing during my original watch. Season 1 on the third watch was even better than my previous 2 watches. Season 2 did seem less disappointing, but was not comparable to season 1 in my opinion.

How did season 3 stack up? It was good, in my first watch, I liked it better than season 2. I liked the storyline and all the sub plots. I think the beauty of season 3 was all these sub plots coming together sooner than the previous seasons. And it made the climax much more dramatic. One thing that bothered me was that a lot of season 3 was filmed during night time. The reason it bothered me is that I could not watch it during my lunch breaks as my TV is directly in the light for most of the day. Whenever I tried to watch it, I had to stop and find time during the night after my kids went to sleep. That made the binge time short and took longer to finish the series.

Season 4 was green-lit in 2021, but it will be the last for this iteration. Season 4 will introduce Michael Pena in a lead role with a possible spin-off. I hope season 4 is not in Asia. I have found a lot of other of these types of series do a really poor job with Asia. I might be biased too. Going to a Latin America country also seems like a repeat of season 2. I hope season 4 can send Jack Ryan off into the sunset.

I highly recommend Jack Ryan, the television series. All three seasons. Season 4 cannot come soon enough.



No comments: