Friday, June 16, 2023

The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion - 魔女首部曲:誕生



The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion (魔女首部曲:誕生) is an 2018 film. The movie stars Kim Da-mi. The supporting cast is large and includes Jo Min-su, Park Hee-soon, Choi Woo-shik, and Go Min-si. The movie includes a sequel that I have yet to watch.



We start out in a bloodied room and find out that some test subjects have escape and there is a manhunt. A boy subject is recovered. The girl subject escapes and finds herself saved by a older farming couple. The owners of the test lab seems to be part of a bigger syndicate and has there sights sit on recovering the girl subject, but decides to tell the higher ups that she is dead. Fast forward ~10 years, the girl subject has joined a talent show and uses her power. The owners find out and start coming for a recapture. Can she get away and keep her new family safe?

The movie was beyond my expectations. I was not expecting it to be very good. I just put it on so I can walk on my treadmill. But did it deliver. It had mystery, suspense, and lots of twist and turns. All of which was presented in a way that made you want to finish and find out the real story. The powers from the girl were definitely on the super human side and it was presented that she acquired her powers through experiments on her brain. The many plot twists were well conceived for you to stay put and finish.

I caught this via my Amazon Prime Video subscription. The sequel is available as a rental, so I will not be watching it until it is prime free. However, I do think it is worth a watch.

No comments: