Saturday, June 7, 2014

R.I.P.D. - 降魔戰警



R.I.P.D. (降魔戰警) is an 2013 film. The movie stars Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds. The supporting cast include Kevin Bacon, Mary-Louise Parker, and Stephanie Szostak. James Hong and Marisa Miller are the shells (see below for more info). The movie was not that successful at the box office and showed up on many list for flops of the 2013 summer movie season.



Ryan Reynolds plays Nick Walker, a married police officer of the Boston Police Department. A sting to bring down a known drug dealer, he falls from 4 stories high to his death. On his way to the after life, he's given a chance to join the Rest In Peace Department (R.I.P.D.). Nick is partnered with a R.I.P.D. from the Civil War era, Roycephus "Roy" Pulsipher, played by Jeff Bridges. Together, they are to bring back the souls that slipped through the cracks back in onto Earth. However, when they are on Earth, they are no longer the people they use to be, they are given new shells. Nick is a old Chinese fellow while Roy is a hot blonde.

This movie had its faults, but it was entertaining. I had to pause it multiple times, but whenever free time became available, I finished it over a 2.5 day period via HBO VOD. You have this absurd concept of the afterlife and that the R.I.P.D. is set up like a police television serial. I didn't give away the plot behind Nick's back story being a major part of the story.

No sequels for this one. I think trying to build the next M.I.B. isn't going to happen.

But again, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. If it comes on while I am washing my dishes, I wouldn't change it.



No comments: