Tuesday, February 26, 2019

影 - Shadow



(Shadow) is an 2018 movie out of Zhong Guo. The movie stars Deng Chao and Sun Li. The supporting cast include Zheng Kai, Wang Qianyuan, Hu Jun, and Guan Xiaotong. The film is directed by Zhang Yimou.

Set during the Three Kingdoms. The kingdom of Pei of has lost control of the city of Jing. The commander of the army wants to get it back from the Yang family. The king of Pei does not want it back and wants to keep the status quo. The commander however has had failing health over the past year and send his Shadow in his place. The Shadow is someone that looks just like the original. In the case of commander, he must guide his shadow in court matters and train him to defeat the Yang general in battle. Will the King of Pei find out that this is a shadow?

This was one of the best films I've ever seen. Zhang Yimou out does himself with this latest epic. The real life married couple of Deng and Sun have instant chemistry onscreen. From the court politics to the shadow training, I was at the edge of my sofa the whole movie. I was kept on my toes scene after scene trying to see how things would unfold.

I ended up watching it again a couple of nights later to figure more things out. OMG, the second time around, I was even more impress. I had recently started watching Hero on Netflix. I was halfway through and remember just how awesome that film was. Shadow is an even better made film and shows Zhang's growth in this genre.

I caught the movie via iTalkBB. It'll be released in the USA in May.


No comments: