Saturday, November 5, 2022

誰是被害者 - The Victims' Game



誰是被害者 (The Victims' Game) is an 2020 drama series out of Taiwan. The series stars Joseph Chang, Hsu Wei-ning (Tiffany Ann Hsu), and Hsu Hai-Yin. This was releases in the US via Netflix.

The story is about forensic scientist with Asperger's syndrome Fang Yi-jen, played by Joseph Chang. When a crime scene leaves clue for its victim, the police must find the clues to prevent the next one. When a investigative journalist Hsu Hai-yin, played by Ann Hsu gets wind of the serial killer, she digs her way into the investigation. Can the two of them solve the riddle and stop the killings?

I actually took almost two years to finish this series. Before the pandemic, when the trailers for this came out, I was super stoked to watch it. But at the time it came out, I was not in the mood for a super depressing series. I watched part of the first episode and picked up 9 months later. I went a couple of episodes and as it got really dark, I stopped again. I finally finished it recently, having to rewatch a bit to remember the story.

Ann Hsu really impressed me. I haven't see her in anything since 16 Summers. Hsu has really matured as an actress and pulled me into her world. A "go get them" journalist character was needed to move the story along as it was a very slow moving storyline. At 8 episodes, it could have been reduce to 6 or so in my opinion. A sequel was annouced, but I have not seen anything about it's release recently.

It is an investigative series in nature. From one clue to the next, the pieces of the puzzle start to take shape and form a picture. I liked how it was in filmed in Taiwan and made me a bit nostalgic. Someday, I will visit my birth country again.

If you like CSI and other shows like it, this will be a fun watch. Seeing how it is done in non-US setting was pretty fun.



No comments: