Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Up the Yangtze - 沿江而上



I caught Up the Yangtze a few weeks back via Netflix. Maybe I should have waited a little bit to watch a documentary right after Planet B-boy.  Up the Yangtze was just ok.  Maybe I was expecting this to be a documentary like Planet B-boy.  It was not.  It wasn't your typical story with point A, B, and C.  There was a message that you had to figure out.  I may not have been in the mode to tax my brain at the time of the watching.

Up the Yangtze follows the people affected by the building of Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze River.  In particular, they follow 2 youths, Cindy and Jerry whom both get jobs on a cruise ship that travels the Yangtze River.  The movie moves from Cindy, Cindy's family, Cindy's boss, co-workers and Jerry's life quite sporadically.

In the end, I was confused and a felt quite disconnected with the people affected.  I didn't have an emotional attachment to them and nor did I feel the movie told a "story".  It was just a bunch of shorts that are related all thrown together.

Like I said before, I had just watch Planet B-boy the very night before and was just blown away.  Maybe I wasn't ready for this.  Maybe I needed to put my thinking cap on.  I don't know.  I can't really recommend this even with all the accolades it's gotten around the world.  Unless you're really ready to think and think and think.



No comments: