Thursday, December 18, 2008

Planet B-Boy



I caught Planet B-Boy recently via Netflix.  I had been waiting and waiting and waiting for this to be released on DVD for a long time.  I've been reading about this film since 2007 and I was sick and tired of waiting.  When it screened here in Los Angeles earlier in the year, I couldn't make it.  I make it to the cinematheque like once or twice a year now.  Seeing any indie film in a theatre isn't going to happen.

I've seen so many youtube clips, I felt like I had seen enough of the movie already.

Boy was I wrong, the movie was amazing.  Amazing!  Blew me away.

The movie follows 2 crews from Korea, 1 crew from Japan, 1 crew from France, and 1 crew from the USA as they get ready for the 2005 Battle of the Year (BOTY).  It details their wins in the prelims and what breaking and being b-boy is to the individual dancers.  Not all members are featured and some members are featured more promently.  The battles are not completely shown and the pacing is excellent.

At the end, I was not tired nor did I want more.  It was excellent.

I've always been intrigued about breaking since the 80s.  It was a fad that many of the asians kids around here embraced.  That embrace didn't go away and I always looked at it from afar.  Much like my passion for martial arts.  Just like watching it.

I also wrote a blog about Formasa at 2008 BOTY.

If you haven't checked it out, you better check yourself and get a hold of it.

No comments: