Wednesday, November 26, 2008

巧克力重擊 - Chocolate Rap



I just got a chance to watch 巧克力重擊 (Chocolate Rap) tonight.  It was quite interesting.

I'll update this post with more info when I do a little more research.

Update 12/18/2008:
After 15+ minutes of googling, I didn't find any useful information.  I don't have the time to look at the chinese sites for information.  So here goes.

The movie is about Chocolate, a rather talented b-boy.  Recruited into a breaking dance troupe, Chocolate finds a career with his skill.  After an accident ends his dancing career, Chocolate decides to give up dancing.  Following in his father's footsteps, Chocolate starts working at his father's factory, ice making and ice cutting.  Chocolate picks up breaking again for recreational purposes and befriends King Kong.  Ultimately, King Kong becomes "evil" and they have to settle it in a competition.  In the end, Chocolate realizes that breaking isn't about others, but about self preservation.

The story was quite intriguing and Chocolate's "coming of age" was interesting.  The conflicts were both internal and external.  In the end, you walk away with both happy and scratching your head.

My favorite scene in the movie is when Chocolate and King Kong are breaking in shallow water.  The song in the background is a famous Tawainese song that takes a Modern and old skool approach.  I was digging it.

I think I see Chocolate in Planet B-boy as part of the Taiwan crew.

No comments: