Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pieta - 聖殤



Pieta (聖殤) is a 2012 film out of Korea. The movie stars Lee Jung-jin and Jo Min-su. The movie received quite a few accolades from the international film community. I borrowed the DVD from my local library.



Lee plays Kang-do, muscle for a local loan shark. Jo plays Jang, who enters Kang-do's life saying that she abandoned him all those years ago. Jang follows Kang on his normal daily collections. Kang's specially is making his subjects cripple in order to collect the insurance money to pay back. Jang slowly gains Kang's trust and they become quite close. When Jang goes missing, he searches for her by going back to all those he's make cripple and seeing if they kidnapped her.

This was a very slow paced film. A lot of guerilla film making with the hand held cameras, giving it a very shaky feeling. The story unfolded like I predicted it would. Too many hints in the beginning to masks it for long. I didn't know the plot of the movie, but predicted it. I had it on hold from my local library and watched it. I didn't go out of my way to watch it. If this movie fell off my list, I wouldn't be sad. But I did watch it, but cannot recommend it.



No comments: