Saturday, May 21, 2022

奪冠 - Leap



Leap (奪冠) is an 2020 film out of Zhong Guo. The movie stars Gong Li and Huang Bo. The supporting cast include Peng YuChang, Lydia Bai, Wu Gang, and actual members of the Zhong Guo national team from 2016. The movie is a 40 year look into how the Zhong Guo women's vollyball team rose from bottom of the barrel to gold.

In the 1980s, the women's team is at the bottom of the barrel. The coach is hard nosed and trains the women with little regard for their feelings. The coach wants the women to win at all cost and drives them hard. The coach hires an assistant that eventually forms a tight bound with arguably the best player on the team Lang Ping. Lang Ping and the assistant, Chen ZhongHe, begin to train and become better. The 1980s team starts to enjoy some success. Fast forward to the end of the 20th century, Lang Pang has emmigrated to the USA and Chen ZhongHe has become the coach of the national team. Towards end of the aughts, the Zhong Guo team is no longer at the top, while Lang Ping has become head coach of the USA team leading them to some success. Chen ZhongHe than approaches Lang Ping to come back the Zhong Guo side and coach. Through much thought, Lang Ping decides to become the head coach. We see Lang Ping whip the gals into shape to capture gold in 2016.

I caught this movie via Amazon Prime a few months ago. I do not believe its free on Prime anymore. I caught this when things were more locked down in 2021. I was not sure what I was watching other than it was about volleyball. I have always cheered on the Zhong Guo teams during the Olympics to do well, but never really knew who was who. This movie brought into light some things I never paid attention to. I was glad to have watched this movie. Does it have flaws? Which movie doesn't? Was I entertained while watching, fo shizzle.

Lydia Bai played the younger Lang Ping for the 1980s scenes. Lydia did an amazing job. I wouldn't even have known she was an ABC from watching the movie. The 1980s garb transformed her. Lydia is actually the real life daughter of Lang Ping! Pretty amazing. Lydia also played on the Stanford women's volleyball team during the early Tens. I am glad she was able to play this role given her connection. I hope she appears in more stuff.

No comments: