Monday, September 28, 2009

The Promise - 無極



The Promise (無極) is a 2005 film out of China. It is directed by Chen Kaige and stars Jan Dong-gun, Hiroyuki Sanada, Cecilia Cheung, and Nicholas Tse.

This is a very complicated movie to summarize. Please head over to wikipedia for the condensed version (it's like 1,300 words as of today). No way I am writing something that crazy. I am lucky to get to 300 words with each post.

The movie was crazy. Insane actually. It was super hard to follow and the CG was distracting. Having Jan and Sanada speak mandarin was even more distracting.

It was a much hyped movie of 2005 and made it to the awards in some place in 2006. I am going to guess because of the hype and Chen's rep. Other than that, this movie is a mess.

I guess I am not a Chen fan anymore. I didn't like Forever Enthralled (梅蘭芳) at all.

No comments: