Thursday, September 17, 2009

Patrick Swayze 1952-2009

Patrick Swayze (1952-2009) passed away three days ago due to pancreatic cancer on September 14. RIP Patrick and my condolences to your family.

I've been a Fan of Mr. Swayze since his Outsider days. Having been apart of 5 of my favorite movies. Although the movie with baby is not one of them. I've never watched the "Dirty Dancing". Only clips here and there.

Here are my 5 favorite Patrick Swayze movies.

1. Point Break (1991)

Patrick Swayze's adrenaline junky portrayal of Bodhi was classic. Along with Keanu Reeve's playing Johnny Utah, "I am an F B I agent!", this was a classic cop and robber caper movie. Along with all things that was cool in 1990-1991, this was the ultimate non mainstream movie. To this day, I still put it on every few years and see it replayed on TV all the time.

2. Ghost (1990)

Back in 1990, I was both a Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore fan. I had read about this movie from some the mags I use to read all the time. I will guess Rolling Stone. But I loved the premise and thought it was totally cool. So cool, I dragged 3-4 of my buddies from back in the day to wait in line for the movie on opening day. As you know, Ghost didn't get #1 position at the box office until much later. Due to word of mouth, the movie caught grass roots fire that dragged it to box office success. The immortalized the classic Unchained Melody song while making a clay vase. This movie propelled Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg to A list status through most of the 90s. And if you were around, Ditto was a phrased uttered way too many times for a few years after that. But the movie was ultimately built on the Patrick's portrayal of Sam's undying love for Demi Moore's Molly. With Patrick's raw and emotional journey, the movie would not have been as successful.

3. Road House (1989)

Patrick at his best as a cooler for a Road House out in the middle of Missouri. Playing James Dalton, he's skilled at kick @$$ and taking no prisnors. Because "Pain don't hurt". This is a guilty pleasure at its best. Everything that a b-movie was in the 1990 was made good by this movie.

4. Youngblood (1986)

Patrick Swayze was a supporting player in this film. I actually haven't seen this film since at least the 90s, so I can only recall that I loved this film in the 80s.

5. The Outsiders (1983)

This was an ensemble cast of many up and coming young guys of 1982. Patrick doesn't have a huge roll, but is a significant player. I haven't seen this in awhile, but it is one of my favorites from the 80s.

No comments: