Monday, July 6, 2009

Forever Enthralled - 梅蘭芳



Forever Enthralled (梅蘭芳) is a 2008 film out of China. The movie stars Leon Lai and Zhang Ziyi and directed by Chen Kaige. The movie is about Mei Lanfang, a famous Beijing Opera performer.

I remember growing up with Chinese opera on in the background on the radio and occasionally on the television. That's because my grandfather was a huge fan and liked having it on. I can't be certain if it was Beijing Opera or not, but it was a form of Chinese opera.

The movie starts with a early years of Lanfang. Which is not played by Leon Lai. By the time Leon Lai made it to the screen, it was 30+ minutes into the movie and I was bored as heck. I stopped. Didn't even see Zhang ziyi appear on screen.

I didn't finish the movie. I may pick it up again to watch when I get more time or am in the mode to think my head off.

I couldn't find a trailer, but just news clips on YouTube.


No comments: