Friday, July 10, 2009

敗犬女王 - My Queen - First Thoughts



I am finished up to episode 15 of 敗犬女王 (My Queen). With 6 more to go, I am conflicted. I don't like where the series is going and episode 14 and 15 were a major chore to watch.

With a stack of other series stacking up behind it, I don't want to waste another 7-8 hours on weak sauce stuff.

So, my first thoughts are that the first 11 or so episodes lives up to the title. They painted Cheryl Yang as a workaholic who's not smooth with the guys. However, Cheryl Yang is way to attractive. These challenges wouldn't come her way. They paint her as a 33 year old who's biological clock is now past 9. I get the concept. I get it. I just can get with it while Cheryl Yang is that person.

Ethan is a hot headed "hippie" type guy. He's enjoying life and making friends on the way.

The tone of the series is way way different than the 2 that preceeded it, 命中註定我愛你 (Destiny to Love/Fated to Love You) and 無敵珊寶妹 (Invincible Shan Bao Mei/Woody Sambo). Lucas and Wu Shuang yell a lot. Tempers flare a lot more. I had to turn the volume down seemingly every 15 mins or so because it would wake up my kids. I have to have the volume up to a decent level to hear while I wash dishes.

Should I bare and grunt my way through the next 6 episodes? I already know the ending, so there's no build up for me. Decisions, decisions.






No comments: