Thursday, July 23, 2009

敗犬女王 - My Queen



敗犬女王 (My Queen) is a 2009 drama out of Taiwan. The 2 main stars are Cheryl Yang and Ethan Ruan. The supporting cast is huge, but includes Jessica Song. Fish Leong shows up as an DJ.

Cheryl Yang as Wu Shuang, plays a 女王 (super women) at a gossip magazine. She's 32 years old and does whatever it takes to get the story. Ethan Ruan as Lucas, plays a handyman that's got a energy for life. They meet on Christmas Eve as Wu takes a bike that Lucas was giving to orphans. In a strange turn of events, Wu and Lucas continue to bump into each other. Lucas eventually becomes Wu's bodyguard and assistant.

Wu is presented as a super woman at school and work. But not so super at life. As Wu hasn't had a boyfriend in 6 years and was "left at the alter" (figuratively). Wu has grown up as the "# 1" in all sorts of competitions. Wu has had the cover story at her mag and the majority of Wu's co-workers do not get along with her.

Lucas is 25 and tries to live life to the fullest and has a heart of gold. He makes a living doing handyman type activities as well as anything that you need. Kind of a handyman for life situations. Like dressing up as Santa.

The drama is very different in tone and has a more mature subject matter. There's a lot of screaming, yelling, and crying. Hey, what do you expect from a drama. The two main stars somehow, someway meet up when you don't think they would. When they're suppose to go their separate ways, they do not. Its drama magic for you.

I enjoyed the first 12 episodes and it went by real quick. Episodes 14-18 were a major chore to watch. The first 12 took roughly 1.5 weeks while, episodes 14-18 took me 3 weeks to finish. Because I started Chinese Paladin 3 and because I didn't like where the story was headed.

I do recommend this drama if you're in your late 20s or older. Some of the subject matter is totally going to be foreign to people in their 20s. And dating an older women with her biological clock on the other half is also going to be a subject matter that is foreign to those that do not think about it.

Towards the end of the series, when the 8 years of age different was the main focus, it reminded me of work. I am one of the older guys in my office and it's hard to relate to those that are a decade younger than me! A full decade, not even 8 years. So, the points brought up hit home a little. I do the daddy thing everyday now. There's no daddy vacation. Young people think about what's the next young thing to do. I can finally move on to Black and White.

I don't think this drama got the play of 命中註定我愛你, but it's rating average for the span of 21 episodes is very high.






No comments: