Thursday, March 4, 2010

Top 50 Hong Kong Films of the 1990s



Below is the list I submitted to LoveHKFilm.com for the Top 50 list of HK films for the 1990s.

Here is my list:

  1. Hard Boiled

  2. Chungking Express

  3. Chinese Odyssey I & II

  4. Once Upon a Time in China II

  5. Swordsmen II

  6. C'est la vie, mon chéri

  7. Once A Thief

  8. Legend of the Liquid Sword

  9. Bullet in the Head

  10. Royal Tramp I

  11. Once Upon a Time in China IV

  12. City Hunter

  13. The Bare-Footed Kid

  14. The Bride with White Hair

  15. A Moment of Romance

  16. Ashes of Time

  17. Armour of God II: Operation Condor

  18. Mermaid Got Married

  19. The Longest Nite

  20. Tom, Dick and Hairy



The hard part about putting this list together was the that according to this HK Film archive promoted by Lord Kozo of LoveHKFilm.com, there were 1,344 movies released in the the 1990s. Looking at that list really fast, I probably saw about 30-40% of those. That's a lot of films I missed out on. On the other side is that I didn't re-watch the majority of the films. So, I really can't remember all of them. But the list above are the movies I remember and they are fond memories.

Did I forget some films that should make my top 20? Absolutely! But with 1,344 films, this is all I could do for the time allotted me by life.

In the future, I would like to re-watch these. At the moment, I've only seen 4 of these in the past 10 years. So, I am going purely off memory. Netflix, here I come!

BTW - I don't consider "Ashes of Time" a 00s film, even if WKW redux it. Just like I still consider Star Wars a 1977 film, even though GL redux it with new scenes and graphics in 1997.

No comments: