Monday, August 9, 2010

Chopped - Food Network



I've been watching a lot of Food Network, HGTV, and Cooking Channel since I got FiOS. Since a lot of my watching involves my two little daughters being around, I don't have to worry about the content of the shows nor the commercials. For the most part, everything is friendly and mostly harmless stuff.

One of my favorite shows around is "Chopped" on the Food Network. The show is split up into 3 rounds, an appetizer, main course, and dessert. Four chefs are given a basket of mystery ingredients. One chef is eliminated from each round until there is only one. The prize for the chef is $10,000 USD. After each round, a chef is "chopped" and is eliminated from the competition.

The majority of the chefs do come from the NYC area. You don't see a lot of SoCal cooking that I am so use to. In general, there are not many Asian chefs. But they are represented and have won.

Recently, I watched an episode title "Crunch Time" and one of the featured chefs was named Lance Nitahara. It was one of the most entertaining episodes I've ever seen of the Chopped series. Lance made it to the final round but was chopped. If on another show against other lesser competition, he would surely have prevailed. Let me tell you, there are dreadful episodes where someone had to win.

Too bad all these chefs are based in the NYC area. This LA boy will never get a chance to taste their talents. And in this case, Lance Nitahara's food. :(

No comments: