Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I Wish I Knew - 海上傳奇 - Released



I Wish I Knew (海上傳奇/海上传奇) is a documentary out of China by famed "sixth generation" China director, Jia Zhangke. The movie is a documentary of families that stayed or left Shanghai prior to the conclusion of the Chinese Civil War. The movie will explore 12 out of the 80 he got on film.

Personally, I claim Shanghai as my main ancestry point. Although I am half Sichaun, I feel closer to my Shanghainese ancestry due to growing up with my paternal grandparents. At one point in my elementary years, I was able to speak to my grandparents in Shanghainese. I've since forgotten everything, which is a major shame.

So, the movie looks very intriguing on so many levels for me. The trailer seems to have Cantonese and Shanghainese so I'll need English subs to understand those parts. Here's to hoping it does get subs.

No comments: