Thursday, June 16, 2011

River's Edge - 大河邊緣



River's Edge (大河邊緣) is a 1986 film. The movie stars Keanu Reeves, Ione Skye, Crispin Glover, Daniel Roebuck, and Dennis Hopper. The movie was partially based on a true story.

A group of friends in High School are led to a nearby river to view the dead body of an missing friend. One of the friends decided to kill one of them and show off about it. The self proclaimed leader of the group tells them all to keep quiet and he'll handle it. However, someone reports it to the police.

I recently caught this again on some movie channel. It was about 2 minutes in when I flipped over. While washing dishes, it brought me back to the late 80s when I saw this. I rented it for $0.50 at a local Sam Goody's on VHS. During that time, I was a huge Keanu fan. Dood had that "it" factor that I still follow today. In this movie, the lead role is split between Keanu, Ione, and Crispin. But Keanu plays the conscious, he's the one that reports it to the police. During that same time in life, I had hair just a bit longer and had a similar "skater/punk rocker" look. Well, at least I tried with my super limited budget. The leather jacket with an cut off jean jacket was a look that was quite popular in those days. And those bangs! Ione's hair was a reflection of mid 80s to early 90s hair. Aquanet it all!

The subject mater and the acting is a bit dated. Dialogue from older movies like this seems so elementary to indie films these days. But I was really captivated by the film's depiction of that slice of childhood for me.



No comments: