Sunday, March 17, 2013

Family Tree - Zhong Guo Style



This video of the Family Tree within Zhong Guo Ren circles is making the rounds around the Asian-American ranks right now. It's a pretty funny and acturate account of the number of ways I refer to my relatives. Even between my cousins, we call our aunties and uncles differently due to the birth order and side of the family one is on.

There are slight variations between the way we refer to people. The video does point to the more formal titles. However, within different regions of Zhong Guo, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia, the titles very slightly.

As the video ran, there were somethings I never ran across because there were not "older wife's sides kids" or something like in my family to make a reference point. It was not confusing to me, but a reiteration of things I grew up having to learn and know in order to be polite.

No comments: