Wednesday, August 18, 2021

My Expectations for Shang-Chi



In a few weeks, Marvel will be debuting their first Asian lead movie with Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. I am excited and cautious at the same time. Currently, my opinion of Asian lead activities in the "west" are that they play too much into the stereotypes. Mind you that I do not watch all of the Asian lead stuff, but watch some of the more mainstream ones.

I will admit that since the pandemic started, 75% or more of what I watch are directly out of Asia from Zhong Guo, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan.

My opinion is based on a couple of trailers and some recent Facebook clips. And I have high hopes! Seems that Simi Liu is going to bring a regular guy role who turns out to be awesome. Kinda like Ant-man.



Tony Leung, Tony Leung. My favorite actor from the 1980s through 1990s. I first saw him in Duke of Mount Deer, then in Heaven Sword, to the first TVB of Handsome Siblings. I grew up on his TVB series. Then his transition to movies with John Woo's Bullet In the Head and Hard Boiled. I have been a life long fan of his. I am hoping Kevin Feige lives up to his word that they will not play to Asian stereotypes, especially with Tony's role.

I have purchased tickets to watch the movie during its first weekend out. Although I am no longer brave enough to make the open nights, I still want to watch them in the theatre.

As much as I love seeing Asian representation in the West. I am sad that some of my favorite Asia based actors cannot join the fun. My favorites right now are a pair of Darrens in Darren Wang and Darren Chen. I also think Xiao Zhan and Yang Yang can play both gritty and slick roles. But Hollywood is not likely to tap the Asia market for their leads. We'll continue to see the same faces over and over again, because the pool is so small. It's a numbers thing in my opinion. Not likely to change in my lifetime.

No comments: