Saturday, February 13, 2010

Voting for Top 50 Hong Kong Films of the 1990s at LoveHKFilm



LoveHKFilm.com has opened voting for the Top 50 list of HK films for the 1990s. I am currently working on a list but this would be my top 20. Unordered at the moment.

Here is my list, yet to be ranked:

  • Hard Boiled

  • Chungking Express

  • C'est la vie, mon chéri

  • Once Upon a Time in China II

  • Chinese Odyssey I & II

  • Swordsmen II

  • Bullet in the Head

  • City Hunter

  • A Moment of Romance

  • Once A Thief

  • The Bride with White Hair

  • Ashes of Time

  • Armour of God II: Operation Condor

  • Mermaid Got Married

  • Once Upon a Time in China IV

  • The Bare-Footed Kid

  • Legend of the Liquid Sword

  • Royal Tramp I

  • Tom, Dick and Hairy

  • The Longest Nite



In the meantime, you have until February 28th to submit your vote. Go for it!

I'll sit on this list for this week and make it final in a few days. The early 1990s were part of the golden era of HK cinema. So many films were being released on a weekly basis. Now, its more of a monthly basis. You can see how the digital era has affected HK films.

For me, I literally tried to watch everything that my video rental place would carry from 1991 to 1995. It is during that time frame that many of the movies on my list became ingrained into my psyche.

No comments: