Saturday, May 28, 2011

Black Swan - 黑天鵝



Black Swan (黑天鵝) is a 2010 film. The film stars Natalie Portman. The supporting cast includes Vincent Cassel, Mila Kunis, and Barbara Hershey. The movie is based on a troupe's production of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.

Natalie Portman plays Nina Sayers, a ballet dancer with a very shelter life. Nina lives with her mother Erica, played by Barbara Hershey. Erica was a failed ballet dancer in her youth and has poured much of her energy into Nina's career. Nina's troupe leader Thomas, played by Vincent Cassel, has chosen her for the lead role. That lead role includes playing both sides of the black and white swan story. Nina's white swan is good, but Thomas tries to bring out more feeling and depth when in black swan mode. Nina starts to descend into madness as the first show approaches.

The movie was a little disappointing for me. I had friends who saw it in the theater say how awesome it was or how terrible it was. Both sides, no middle ground. I landed in the middle. I think its slick story telling and Nina's fractured reality was presented in a very unique way. At the end, I wasn't sure what was real. I would not recommend this movie to friends though. I wouldn't even talk to them about it. It's too convoluted of a story to discuss and it falls too much into the artistic realm to suit my taste.



No comments: