Monday, May 30, 2011

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 歪小子史考特



Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (歪小子史考特) is a 2010 film. The movie stars Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. The large supporting cast includes Ellen Wong, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Brandon Routh, and Jason Schwartzman.

The movie is about a rock band bass player Scott Pilgrim, played by Michael Cera. At a party, Scott meets Ramona Victoria Flowers, played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead. He instantly falls for her and goes out of his way to woo her. When he does, he finds out that in order to keep dating her, Scott will have to battle and defeat Romona's previous seven boyfriends. Let the battles begin.

This movie was a total trip. I had heard of how offbeat and potential for a mind-trip this movie could be. Going in with those high expectations, I was ultimately let down. Scott isn't a very likable character in general so I had a hard time pulling for him. In the end, I was just hoping for a nice happy ending. Ramona's character wasn't all that much to write home about either. So, strike out on the characters. So that leaves the story and special effects to save the day right? Well, the story was your standard win the girl at all cost kind of deal. Through in the weird boyfriends, it was straight forward and easy to follow. So easy that I was a little bored. So, can the special effects help salvage the movie? Yes, that part of the film was quite awesome. Taking queues from video games and things in gadget culture for reference points. I was delighted by the nice visuals.

In all, I think I should have just watched the movie with no expectations. Maybe I would have liked the movie better.





No comments: