Tuesday, August 11, 2009

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - 特種部隊:眼鏡蛇的崛起



G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (特種部隊:眼鏡蛇的崛起) is a 2009 film based on a toy franchise. The movie stars a bunch of people. You'll need the cast list to keep track.

The movie is based on a toy franchise from the 80s that was also turned into a cartoon series. The man characters from both the Joe side and Cobra side are from this series.

The movie starts with a 1641 event that shapes into what we see today as MARS. Nanotechnology is created that can inflect mass scale damage. When on a mission to deliver the nanotech warheads, Cobra attacks the transport, but fails to get warheads. But Cobra fails only because G.I. Joe comes to the rescue. So, now that G.I. Joe has the case, the home beacon is on. Cobra eventually takes the warheads. They are going to use it.

The movie seemed to be 75% or more focused on the action. The story moves very quickly and the events are chained together very closely. If you missed just 5 minutes, you'll prolly be confused.

I am still not sure how I feel about the movie. I didn't hate it nor did I like it. I was entertained in many parts of the film. But I also had a few "that did not just happen" (cheezy) type events.

Lee Byung Hun was a pretty significant role and speaks English quite well in the movie. However, the voice did seemed unnatural in some cases. The young snake eyes and storm shadow training grounds looks like the Japanese Garden at The Huntington Library.

It did well enough for a August release at the box office too. This pretty much guarantees that there will be a number 2. They left the ending wide open on Cobra Commander, Destro, The Baroness, and Storm Shadow. However, if they follow the same type of formula for number 2, we've already been duped once.

No comments: