Wednesday, August 12, 2009

That's The Way I Like It - Forever Fever



That's The Way I Like It (Forever Fever) is a 1998 film out of Singapore. It stars Adrian Pang and Medaline Tan. I watched the Miramax version. I remember watching it in 1999 or 2000. I recently picked up a budget copy from amazon marketplace.

The movie is based in 1977, at the height of "Saturday Night Fever" popularity around the world. The movie follows Hock, played by Adrian Pang, and Mei, played by the lovely Medaline Tan. Adrian Pang is oldest of 3 siblings and works at a supermarket. Adrian dreams of Bruce Lee and his dream bike. When he happens on "Saturday Night Live" with his gang of friends, Hock gets hooked on disco. Disco dancing! Hock and Mei join a dance class and enter a competition with a $5000 grand prize. Things get tricky when a rich boy Richard and Julie enter the picture. Adrian shows an interest in the rich and well dressed Julie. But than there's his best gal buddy, Mei.

The movie was light hearted and very very entertaining. I was blown away by the Singlish and the over the top premise. Watching it again years later, the premise is even more intriguing as my appreciation of Singapore has grown.

It's too bad Medaline Tan isn't in the entertainment world anymore (at least my googling isn't producing any results). The world has missed out. Not even a transition to Singapore dramas. Oh well.

The miramax cover doesn't even have Adrian Pang and Medaline Tan. Its just 2 asian ppl there. Strange whacked cover.

Watch it, enjoy it, and do the hustle.



No comments: