Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Once Upon a Time in China - 黃飛鴻



Once Upon a Time in China (黃飛鴻) is a 1991 movie out of Hong Kong. It was also a spark of what would be a long line of martial movies that dominated the HK film industry in the 90s. This movie is the first of 6. The movie starred Jet Li, Yuen Biao, Jacky Cheung, Rosamund Kwan, and Kent Cheng.

The film begins with a lion dance demonstration. Jet Li as Wong Fei Hong shows off his skills to the locals and foreigners on hand. Wong is ask to lead and train a local militia to defend civilians from both locals and foreigners. From here, we're slowly introduced to the many members of Wong's militia. Including the very fresh faced Jacky Cheung. Lots of lowbrow hijinx ensue, but we get a glimpse of Wong's kung fu artistry. The main protagonist is a band of local gangsters that are in cahoots with the Americans to sell local gals as prostitutes in America. Wong must face them when they capture 13 Aunt, played by Rosamund Kwan.



This isn't among my favorite films by Jet Li and is probably 3rd on the list for the series of 6. But I remember watching this back in 1991 and thinking how awesome it was. The epic ending battle was a masterpiece. I still enjoy putting this on in the background while I wash dishes and can't really pay that much attention. Tsui Hark followed "The Swordsman" with a totally new style of Kung Fu presentation that dominated the 90s wuxia landscape.

Back in 1991, my grandparents live in Monterey Park and we would visit them every month or so. When it was a bigger gathering with other cousins. We would run off to the local video store and rent the latest HK movie. I remember how much I enjoyed this. And it is fond memories of my teens with relatives and my late grandfather.

No comments: