Thursday, November 28, 2013

Oldboy - US Edition - Upcoming



Oldboy, the US Edition makes it way to the theatres this weekend. Oldboy is an mid-1990 manga out of Japan. In 2003, a movie from Korea popularized it international. At one point, the US Edition had very famous people attached to it. Justin Lin, Steven Spielberg, and Will Smith to name a few. Eventually, it fell to Spike Lee. Spike says that the movie is not a remake and draws inspiration from the manga series instead.

For myself, I remember watching the Korean version in 2004. Up to that point, I wasn't an avid fan of Korean cinema. Although I had watched many, I watched a lot more HK and anime. But after that Oldboy, I was hooked on Korean cinema for a few years. It was hit and miss than and it still is now.

As for this US Edition coming out this weekend. Thank goodness its finally out and we don't have to speculate if its a remake, a abomination for taking on a classic, etc. Its out. Nothing anyone can do about it. I for one will rent it in the future and watch it. The storyline seems very Japanese, if you watch enough anime, every cultural taboo is broken at some point. If the storyline is close to the Korean version, the subject matter will be a shock to the audience. I won't be letting my girls watch until they are off to college.

No comments: