Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gen X-Cops - 特警新人類



Gen X-Cops (特警新人類) is a 1999 film out of Hong Kong. It is hard to believe that its been 10 years since this films been out. Starring a majority of young unknowns, this movie was part of the launching pad for some of today's more popular Chinese male actors. The male stars are Nicholas Tse, Stephen Fung, Sam Lee, and Daniel Wu. The female stars are Grace Yip and Jaymee Ong.

I recently re-watched this while washing dishes and it was a doozy. I remember that I had lost almost all faith in HK cinema at the time. Of the gazillion movies being release from HK, only a couple every few months are even watchable. The quality of the films suffered from the handover. This wasn't a great film, but it was so much better than all the other junk at the time. I remember renting this bad quality version and than watching it a few months later on an official release DVD.



At the time of its release, I was in my mid-twenties and the males leads were all younger than me. The "coolness" factor was emphasized and they threw in rave and club culture on top of that. Something that was new at the time. Is it accurate? No way, but movies only present a scene to move the story along. And the way the story moved along caught my attention.

Jaymee Ong was the star of the movie for me. Jaymee was really just eye candy in the film as she had so little screen time. But the scene time was greatly appreciated. It's too bad Jaymee moved on to the US after to break into Hollywood. I read that she's onto Singapore now. With only 2 HK movies to her credit, its a shame.

In all, the movie actually stands the test of time and is entertaining to watch. Turn you brain off and reminisce to the that Y2K era. A guilty pleasure it is.

They did have a sequel to this that was no where as good. More on that in the future.


No comments: