Thursday, February 2, 2012

Drive - 落日車神



Drive (落日車神) is an 2011 film starring Ryan Gosling. The supporting cast includes Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, Christina Hendricks, Ron Perlman, Oscar Isaac, and Albert Brooks.



Ryan plays an un-named expert driver often referred to as the "kid" or the "driver". The driver starts the movie as an get away driver. You find out later that he's an part time stunt driver and works at an autoshop as an mechanic. His boss trys to exploit him from as many angles he can get. The latest scheme is an stock car racing circuit to eventually get to NASCAR. Plans derail as the driver falls in love with an next door neighbor, Irene, played by the lovely Carey Mulligan. The driver and the next door neighbor become quite friendly. Things go from bliss to the gutter when Irene's husband is released from prison. Troubles from prison follow the husband that may threaten Irene and her son. To get the debt payed, the driver offers his services to the husband and all hell breaks loose.

I haven't seen all the films released in 2011. It's impossible. At my stage in life, I pretty much have to pick according to movies I think I'll like. I usually gravitate towards action oriented films. On top of that, I have to wait for them to be released on DVD/Blu-ray. BUT dang it, Drive has got to be one of the best films of 2011 and of this decade. I am considering buying it on Blu-ray and the soundtrack. Which I don't do often or at all these days. Music is an important part of films. The two key songs of the film play at key moments of the film to heighten the intensity and emotions of the scene. The lyrics ring out to what is going on and how the parties are feeling.

Ryan Gosling, when I grow up, I would like to be you. A man of little words in the movie and a man with no name, Ryan's face and body do the acting. A stark departure from his gigolo character in Crazy, Stupid, Love. The silent but strong acting draws you into the movie even more.

I can't say enough about this film. Artsy fartsy or not, this film had great concepts, great music, great lead characters, refined action, and super stylish. The pink 1980s cursive font even looked good. This movie was crazy good and you should watch it.




No comments: