Thursday, January 21, 2010

Joint Security Area - JSA - 共同警戒區



Joint Security Area/JSA (共同警戒區) is a 2000 film out of Korea. The film stars Lee Young Ae, Lee Byung-Hun, and Song Kang-ho.

The movie is about murders at the North/South Korean DMZ zone. A special international force is brought in to investigate so that both sides are addressed. Layer upon layer of mysteries are unraveled to get to the truth.

This is one of the first Korean films I watched back in 2001. Up to that point, Korean cinema didn't even register on my radar. Korean dramas were just starting to flex their muscle in the Asian markets. The movies didn't lag behind too much. I was entertained by the movie and it was a glimpse into a world unknown to me. When I think of this movie, I also think of the planet b-boy promo clips at the DMZ.

No comments: