Thursday, April 23, 2009

青少年哪吒 - Rebels of the Neon God



Rebels of the Neon God (青少年哪吒) is a 1992 film out of Taiwan.

The film in my interpretation is a take on religion in Taiwan. There are 3 main characters. The first is a school boy, the second is a hood living with his brother, and the last is a skate rink girl looking for love with her body. The school boy has failed to get into a school (I'll assume college) and is in a cram school for the entrance exams. The school boys parents have paid for the cram school and the school boy isn't cooperating. The hood lives with his career minded older brother in an apartment is is perpetually flooded because of a backed up drain. The skate rink girl seems to find comfort in the company of men. All their live are intertwined in an interesting way.

The movie is quite slow. The plot is never really explained much. The characters seem to drift through the days in a haze. There is love, betrayal, violence, and revenge. Yet, most of it takes a lot of brain power. Hey, but I was ready for it. I wasn't unprepared. I knew it was going to be a hard movie to watch, follow and eventually try to make sense out of.

Was I glad I watched it? Yes. Would I watch it again. Nope. Not even while I am washing the dishes.

I got it via Netflix.

No comments: