Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress - 巴爾札克與小裁縫



Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress (巴爾札克與小裁縫) is 2002 film starring Zhou Xun, Aloys Chen, and Liu Ye.

The movie is about 2 teenage boys sent to the countryside for re-education during the Chinese Cultural Revolution. Set in the Sichuan hills that gets flooded in present times via the Three Gorges Dam.

I am not sure how I came to watch this movie as it doesn't show up in my Netflix history. But I could have rented it from Blockbuster.

In any case, I was a little bored while watching the movie. I can see how the the repression and eventual escape of the three main protagonist can stir people up.

I don't believe this movie was ever released in China, but it did make the Film Festival circuits back in 2003 and 2004.

No comments: